Ruby's Books

Lies Beneath
Anne Greenwood Brown
Dark Passage
M.L. Woolley
Death Turns a Trick (A Rebecca Schwartz Mystery)
Julie Smith
Destiny Disgraced - Carrie Ann Ryan

*Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book from InkSlinger PR in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my rating or the content of my review in any way.

It seems that I've been on a roll lately discovering paranormal series that I need to read ASAP and that's making me super happy. I've only read Carrie Ann Ryan's contemporary books, and I am happy that I decided to try out more of her work.

As I said before, I love to see how each author describes the myth of the shifters, and while I don't know the full explanation included in the Redwood Pack/Talon Pack series, I liked what little I got to read about in Destiny Disgraced. The idea that there's an outside force, called the moon goddess, that blesses shifters with the mating and pack bonds was really interesting and new. I liked the fact that just because they received the blessing of the moon goddess didn't mean that they couldn't lose it, although some stuff revealed during the book makes me wonder about the motivation of this moon goddess. I am hoping she'll reveal herself during the next few books.

I also liked the whole mating concept. It wasn't the usual approach I've read time and again, which was really nice, and I loved the idea that Ryan introduced in her book. I'm very curious about how triads work, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I'll read about that once I get to read the earlier books.

Mitchell was an interesting hero. His full story and his reasons for staying away from Dawn are revealed little by little during the story, but once you learn the full story, you can completely understand his struggle with this mating bond. It was tragic to read about, and you can tell that he has the potential of being a much stronger male, but because of his past, because of what he went through, he's truly scarred and hurt. And I found it truly amazing and it made my nerdy side really happy to see that some details from the cover of the book not only are they found in the story itself, but you also learn the why of it. Can't say more than that because of spoilers, but I had to say just that.

Dawn was also a very great heroine. I found that she was a truly strong female, one that had the potential to be something more but because of her Pack's story, she was lacking the opportunities for them. I ached for her because of that, because her true potential wasn't being fully explored due to something her ancestors did. I liked her spirit. I liked that she could be a badass and defend herself and her friends when they needed protection, and at the same time allow herself moments of vulnerability. She and Mitchell are a perfect match, really, and I was truly happy that they found themselves.

The interesting thing about this book, and I can only hope this is something that happens with all books, is that every now and then, you get a chapter told in some different character's POV. I found that intriguing, not just because it teases about the next book's main characters, but it also shows you just a tiny piece of the puzzle, just enough to get my interest piqued.

The story is truly well paced, and I managed to read it in one sitting. I found that although I knew nothing about this world, I was able to read without feeling lost. I felt the need to know more, but not in the sense that I couldn't understand what was happening or that I was confused by the lack of knowledge.

As I said in the beginning, I'm truly happy that I got to read this book and that I've found yet another great paranormal series. I plan on working my way through the Redwood and Talon series, while I'm waiting desperately for the next book in the series.

Source: http://rubys-books.blogspot.com