rubysbooks

Lies Beneath
Anne Greenwood Brown
Dark Passage
M.L. Woolley
Death Turns a Trick (A Rebecca Schwartz Mystery)
Julie Smith

Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, Book 8)

Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, Book 8) - Kelley Armstrong I finished reading this book a few weeks ago, but my head is still spinning. I think this book is different than the previous ones. While the other books had this kind of slow world building vibe and felt more focused on character development, Personal Demon makes a big change for the world of this series. There are some surprising things that happen in this book, things I didn't anticipate. But I'll get to that later. Let's talk characters first.The first thing that jumped at me and surprised me is that we get two POVs in Personal Demon: Hope's POV and that of Lucas. It was very nice having a male's perspective of the world. And it gave me the chance to really see Lucas and get a feel of him, not just from what Paige is thinking about him, but to experience it for myself. He's a really cool guy. I like that he's level-headed and that he doesn't judge other people. And he's really helpful and kind with other people, even with his idiot brothers.Hope is... different. Not because of her powers, not because of her father or anything like that. She just is different. I liked her, yes. But I didn't love her as I wanted to. There were moments when her choices and actions were a little difficult for me to understand. Maybe it's because I liked Karl so much, but I really felt like at times she wasn't fair with him at all. I also wanted to see her using her powers more and to learn about her powers because they are really unique. And, yes, I admit it, a small part of me wanted to see Hope at her worst. We've had glimpses of how the other characters can do bad things, I was waiting for Hope to have that moment. For some reason I see her like dynamite, just seconds away from explosion. I don't want her to turn bad, but I want to experience the difficult part of her power from her POV, not some other character's.I loved Karl. I feel like he could be an alpha. Not as good as Jeremy though, but Karl would make a great leader. We get a different side of him in this book. While I can't say I liked him at first, I can see now why Hope fell for the guy. I'm just hoping that the other werewolves get to see the nice side of him. He can be annoying when he wants to, so it would be a difficult journey to get to know him. But, like I said, I loved him.I won't give away anything about the changes in the world, because those are spoilers. But it kind of goes back to book 2, Stolen. It's kind of cool to see all the connections between books that are not consecutive in a series.The only thing that I wanted that didn't come true is another Jaime/Jeremy book. I got used to twos: two books for Elena, two for Paige. Yes, Eve had only one, but I was hoping the pattern would continue with Jaime/Jeremy. And yes, I wanted more naked-Jeremy scenes. Nothing wrong with that *blush*Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens next in the series, even if it means I'm getting closer and closer to the ending *sob*